Press

A Webster man accused of murdering his mother inside her flower shop is out on bond.

Mark Dickey, 44, posted a $50,000 bond Monday morning. Police say he shot his mother in the head inside the office of her Webster flower shop earlier this month. Dickey made the 911 call reporting a robbery in progress.

Prosecutor Bill Exley said, "When officers arrived on scene they found a number of things about his account were not true, most significantly nothing of value was missing from the robbery location and the murder weapon was still at the location."

So far, there's no information on what may have led to the shooting.

(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)


Mark Dickey

The son of a Webster business owner found shot to death in her florist shop has been arrested, police said.

Mark Dickey, 44, was arrested on Thursday. He was taken to the Webster jail on murder charges, authorities said.

His mother, 68-year-old Brenda Dickey was found shot to death in her store, NASA Flowers, at 205 E. NASA Parkway, on Saturday.


A man tasked with protecting Houston ISD students is accused of violating that trust. The man is a security officer for the district. He is now charged with multiple counts of indecency with a child.

That security officer appeared before a judge this morning. His alleged victims are accusing the man of groping them.

Devin Jay Delarosa, 28, is a Houston ISD security officer accused of fondling an 11-year-old female student at Burbank Elementary and Burbank Middle schools. That girl told investigators on several occasions Delarosa would take her to a closet at the school and tell her he was searching for drugs while touching her inappropriately.

The girl, who was a fifth and sixth grader at the time, says she questioned whether a female officer should be present. The child claims Delarosa told her he's an officer and he can do whatever he wanted.

Delarosa's attorney, Baldemar Zuniga, says the man was a contract security officer managed by HISD police.

"We certainly believe that once the investigation is completed, and once the evidence is reviewed, that there is not going to be any indication that he was indecent with any of these children," Zuniga said.

I'm told Delarosa's been suspended from his job. The judge has ordered him not to have any contact with the young girl.

We're also finding out Delarosa may have a history of complaints regarding his behavior around other female students.



April 15, 2013

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News & KHOU.com staff

HOUSTON – Countless complaints were made through the years against an HISD security guard now accused of groping female students at several campuses while conducting bogus drug searches.

Devin Jay Delarosa, 28, is charged with five counts of indecency with a child.

Delarosa worked at Burbank Elementary School and Burbank Middle School from November 15, 2010 through June 1, 2012.

A student said Delarosa began fondling her when she was a 5th grader at Burbank Elementary School. She was only 11 years old at the time. She told investigators the inappropriate touching continued when she was a 6th grader at Burbank Middle School.

She said Delarosa would order her to “get over here.” He would then take her to a private location saying he needed to search her body for drugs, the girl said.

The accuser said he would take her to his office when she attended the elementary school and to a closet at the middle school campus.

The victim said Delarosa would grope and fondle her breasts each time he “searched” her, and once tried to feel between her legs, but she would not let him.

The student said she once asked Delarosa why he was searching her instead of a having a woman do it. Delarosa replied that he could do “whatever he wanted,” according to the girl.

She was not the only student to speak out against Delarosa. Records show that numerous complaints were made against the security guard.

Delarosa was reprimanded multiple times when middle school parents accused him of inappropriate contact with young girls, giving girls rides on his golf cart and befriending students online.

Police also found several complaints from young female students at Austin High School saying he was touching them in an inappropriate manner. Delarosa, who worked there between the 2010-2011 school year, was warned by school officials not to fraternize with female students.

Delarosa denied all of the allegations. He was jailed and given a $30,000 bond.

After his court appearance Monday, defense attorney Baldemar Zuniga said Delarosa was only doing his job.

“Perhaps there was a lapse in judgment with regard to the performance of his duties, but we certainly believe that once the investigation is completed and once the evidence is reviewed, that there is not going to be any indication that he was indecent with any of these children,” said Zuniga.

Investigators are looking into why he was allowed to continue working on the school campuses when multiple reports were made about him.

“As we go along, obviously we will investigate and learn more and learn more about his past history and whether or not that should have been a signal to anyone,” prosecutor Lisa Collins said.

In regards to the allegations made at Austin High School, HISD said the alleged behavior was documented by the school principal, who is no longer employed by the district. There is no indication the former principal shared this information with HISD Police, HISD Professional Standards, or any other appropriate authorities. Records documenting concerns about Delarosa’s actions were maintained at Austin High School, but do not appear to have been submitted for inclusion in his HISD personnel file. Delarosa was not charged with a crime related to the allegations at Austin High School.

According to HISD, Delarosa resigned from HISD in December when district police confronted him about the allegations of inappropriate behavior.

Delarosa was hired as a security guard at time when campus principals were responsible for screening and managing them. The Houston ISD Police Department has since assumed responsibility for overseeing security guard management.


August 21, 2012

The largest raids ever in the Houston area of marijuana "grow houses" on Tuesday netted 41 properties where Vietnamese traffickers infiltrated affluent neighborhoods and secretly cultivated millions of dollars worth of high-potency pot, according to federal authorities.

The raids made two things clear: Traffickers are investing large sums of money in growing equipment and installing their operations in high-dollar homes in Houston-area neighborhoods not known for drug trafficking.

Teams of narcotics officers from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Harris County Sheriff's Office executed search warrants at rental homes in Harris County, including a cluster in the Spring area, as well as in Montgomery and Fort Bend counties.

The raids shocked many neighbors who were unaware of the illicit drug cultivation taking place in houses in quiet residential neighborhoods.

Agents familiar with the drug sweep said it is in response to an expanded presence of Vietnamese pot growers locally, part of a trend that has seen home-grown marijuana cultivation move from rural fields into so-called "grow houses'' in suburban neighborhoods.

A law enforcement source who did not want to be identified because of the active investigation said 22 suspects were detained.


June 21, 2012

A gold 2007 Toyota Tundra loaded with mattresses, box springs and furniture proved a fruitless prop for a Houston mob of alleged gun runners whose real cargo amounted to at least 14 military-style weapons headed to the border.

The pickup clocked some 2,000 miles across four states in what authorities claim was an intricate mission to elude police and deliver guns to a Mexican drug cartel. Over two days, it traveled north to Oklahoma then crossed New Mexico, Arizona and California before turning toward Mexico.

Its only stops were for food and gas, according to ATF agents who covertly tracked the truck and driver - an accused operative in a Houston-based smuggling ring. Also confiscated were $52,000 in cash and 4,165 rounds of ammunition

Authorities contend the scheme is another in an imaginative string of ploys by traffickers and stands as further evidence that Houston remains one of the nation's leading sources for weapons trafficking due to its many gun stores and proximity to Mexico.

'Whatever it takes'

Six people in Houston - all U.S. citizens - are charged for their alleged roles in the conspiracy to illegally purchase weapons from local gun stores and attempt to smuggle them to Mexico, where they are snatched up on the black market by drug traffickers.

"If they find a weak point, it doesn't matter if it is in Arizona or New Mexico," said Dan Webb, a retired lieutenant with the Texas Department of Public Safety. Whatever it takes to "safely get their merchandise to Mexico - they will do it."

New details about the operation emerged this week as authorities brought another alleged player, Ray Miranda, before a magistrate, contending he would flee should he be freed on bail pending trial. He was denied bail.

"In every case, I don't believe a word the government says until I have verified it myself," said Miranda's attorney. Seth Kretzer. "I attack these cases from every possible angle."

The ATF said it was tipped to the ring in 2010 by a Houston gun dealer who reported a suspicious customer.

That call triggered an investigation that included secretly watching the players, placing tracking devices on at least one vehicle, and wiretapping the phone of Armando Rene Medrano, the alleged ringleader, ATF Agent John McDonald testified in a hearing this week.

As the pickup truck traveled, agents followed. The truck, driven by Christopher Royce Webb, who also is charged, sought to avoid risky corridors, such as Interstate 10, which is known to be patrolled by police, troopers and deputies searching for contraband.

Eventually, it pulled into the garage of a stash house in San Diego, just north of sprawling Tijuana, and was unloaded. The weapons, cash and ammunition, as well as laser sights, were reloaded into two other vehicles that headed for the border.

Agents intercepted the vehicles just as they approached the point to exit the United States into Mexico. One man jumped out and tried to run the rest of the way to Mexico.

Most of the firearms were 5.7-caliber rifles.

U.S. citizens enlisted?

Lost on none of the agents, federal officials said, was the botched Operation Fast and Furious in which ATF allowed a large cache of weapons to slip from the United States into the hands of a cartel.

"There was no way we were going to let those guns get into Mexico," prosecutor Ted Imperato said.

The investigation, being handled by the ATF and the Drug Enforcement Administration, contends the ring enlisted U.S. citizens with clean criminal records to lie to buy the guns. They are accused of claiming the guns were for themselves, when they were really to be sent to drug traffickers.

Some  alleged conspirators also are accused of trying to distribute about a ton of marijuana.

Others charged in the case include Medrano's former girlfriend, Sandra Lisseth Landin; ex-wife, Martha Cristina Hernandez; brother, Oscar Medrano; and Ray Delpilar Miranda, who supposedly rented a warehouse used by the ring.

They face from up to five years in prison for gun charges to as many 40 years for drug trafficking.


"No one ever wants to need a lawyer, I know I certainly did not. When I did need one Val was the one for me. He handled my case not only as an incredible lawyer but as a caring person as well. He kept me informed, he was always available when I needed to talk to him and he attended all of my hearings himself, instead of sending someone else. He gave me sound advice and in the end the result was the best for me. I would tell anyone to use him if you need someone who can not only argue a case but a lawyer who cares for you as well." -Former Client